Thursday, July 24, 2008

Toffee Cookies






For those of you who truly know me, you know that I don't really like bread and cookies. Too many carbs and they make my stomach hurt. Anyway...we had a porcelain cookie jar for well over a year and it had never been filled with cookies. Yes...you are correct in thinking that I haven't made cookies in well over a year. Anyway...on Sunday morning, I got a wild hair and decided to make cookies. Our church starts at 2 pm, so I made them all morning long. When John finally woke up Sunday morning, there were cookies in the cookie jar. Not just normal cookies...probably the best cookies I've ever made. Which is pretty good for me considering I hardly ever bake. Here's the recipe:

Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
13/4 cups (packed) brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 1.4-ounce chocolate-covered English toffee bars (such as Heath), coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped

Preparation
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; whisk to blend. Stir chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from over water. Cool mixture to lukewarm.
Using electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs in bowl until thick, about 5 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, then toffee and nuts. Chill batter until firm, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake just until tops are dry and cracked but cookies are still soft to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)

I'm telling you...these were the best cookies ever!!!

5 comments:

dhillman said...

Oh, I how I wish I didn't like cookies or bread!
Thanks for sharing the recipe, we will give it a try

Linda said...

Those cookies really do sound heavenly. I'll have to give them a try one of these days. Thanks for sharing. Cute pictures, too!!

Susie said...

I'm pre-heating my oven as I type this!!! I sure wish my stomach hurt when I ate sweets.

Susie said...

Becky - is it one and 3/4 cup brown sugar or just 3/4 cup of brown sugar? You know I measure raisins for oatmeal raisins cookies - OC!!

Robin and Larry said...

Well.. look at you Rachel Ray!
Why don't you make those this weekend when you come down? :)